Winterr's words

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Orphan Fawns

*UPDATE: I am updating since writing this post, to write that one of the fawns has been rescued, the other one ran away, so I pray it comes back soon.
One of the great things that I have discovered while living here in Ohio is the beautiful wildlife. I have had the pleasure of seeing raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks and deer from my kitchen window.
Only a few nights ago I woke up to the sound of a crash, a mother deer had been hit by a car. Only days later her twin fawns appeared in our yard. I feel so sad for them, and I called a wildlife rescue phone number, they sent out a volunteer to try and take the fawn, but she could not catch them. They are about 3 weeks old and keep calling out for their mother, it's so sad. I have been praying that they are OK.
I put water out for them and the wildlife rescue volunteer put some special deer food mix out there for them (which the raccoons feast on unfortunately). I haven't seen them eat any of it, but they did sleep in our yard last night.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has come across orphaned wildlife in the past and what they did, and if the animal/s survived.

St.Francis of Assisi

Labels:

posted by Unknown at 5:07 AM

6 Comments:

you will probably have a different opinion of the squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, and chipmunks when they dig up your yard, eat your bird food, start gnawing on randoms assorted parts of your house, eat your vegetable garden, trample your flower beds...they can really be aggravating!

7:02 AM  

Hi Fatwonkkid,
yes I probably would think differently of them if I had a nice vegetable garden.
The raccoons do eat the bird seed, but I haven't fed the birds in a while. We have a groundhog here.
I can imagine the aggravation when it comes to vegetable gardens. Actually gnawing on the house would be pretty bad too.

8:46 AM  

I had a wounded dove get stuck in our screened-in patio. We nursed it back to health and let it go a week later.

It kept coming back, but eventually flew away.

4:07 PM  

Phoenix,
It's good to hear a success story.
With the fawns, I am happy that one has been saved but really disappointed that the other one is still out there somewhere.

9:05 AM  

raw milk.

if u can find it, and its legal in the state u live in

11:07 PM  

Sol,
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been able to find the fawn. It got scared when the wildlife rescue volunteer tried to catch it. I heard it yesterday but did not see it anywhere. I haven't seen it at all today either, so I am worried about it.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home