Winterr's words

Monday, February 27, 2006

Latin

I'm learning a little bit of latin. Thanks to St.Peter's Helpers who wrote about the Pope encouraging us to learn it. I can now say "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in latin, yay!
Now today I sang the Ave Verum (my cat was giving me a confused look, maybe I don't sound the best) I found the music and words to Ave Verum you can click the link to hear the music and words.
The words are:

AVE VERUM Corpus
Natum de Maria Virgine:
Vere passum, immolatum
In cruce pro homine:
Cuius latus perforatum
Fluxit aqua et sanguine:
Esto nobis praegustatum
Mortis in examine

In English:

HAIL, true Body, truly born Of the Virgin Mary mild Truly offered,
wracked and torn,
On the Cross for all defiled,
From Whose love-pierced, sacred side
Flowed Thy true Blood's saving tide:
Be a foretaste sweet to me In my death's great agony.

I am going to continue learning from St.Peter's helpers, it's a lot of fun =)

posted by Unknown at 3:56 PM

6 Comments:

I bought a book on beginner's Latin a few months back. Haven't even cracked it open - I've still got to refresh my Spanish (for school).

Though it would be fun to drop in the casual Latin phrase or sentence in conversation. Just to show off!

6:16 AM  

You should check out the Thesaurus Precum Latinarum. It has lots of Latin prayers that are a good way to learn the language. I admit my Latin is poor, but I have learned more about Latin by praying with it than I did when I took Latin in college.

http://www.preces-latinae.org/index.htm

6:31 AM  

The key to learning a 2nd language is relativity.

Praying is a good way to learn latin, because you know most of the phrases and such. Just have to be careful with some of the wording, and how it changes in normal dialect.

I wish my mom taught me portuguese when i was younger =( but thats another topic lol.

GL w/ latin carmel ;D

7:30 AM  

Thanks for the tips all.

Lutherpunk I will definetly check that out thank you!

4:30 PM  

Latin is such a great language! And it will be easy for you as it is similar to Italian right?

11:49 PM  

Stef,
Yes I am finding it easy bc of that lol.

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home