Winterr's words

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Home made

We went to Lake Erie this weekend, it was so beautiful. It was the most sunny and warm weekend that I remember in too long now. Too bad though that the temperatures have dropped a bit, but it's still ok.
Nothing too spectacular is going on right now, but I have been attempting to make home made pita bread. It worked out pretty good and is tasty if I do say so myself. I like being in my cooking moods, it reminds me of being with my mother, growing up I always remember her making something from home. Now my daughter likes joining in so it's working well.
I took photos of my bread making so I could email them to my mother and I decided to post one here so you can see too!

The picture is before they went into the oven of course and they actually worked yay!!! I'm surprised really, because I didn't think they would work out and they did. phew.
Well I am going to go off and get on with the rest of my day. Have a great week all!

4HC, if you would like the recipe here it is:

whole wheat pita bread

1 (1/4-oz) package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon honey
1 1/4 cups warm water (105–115°F)
2 cups bread flour or high-gluten flour, plus additional for kneading
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Cornmeal for sprinkling baking sheets

preparation

Stir together yeast, honey, and 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl, then let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. (If mixture doesn't foam, discard and start over with new yeast.)

While yeast mixture stands, stir together flours in another bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup flour mixture into yeast mixture until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Stir in oil, salt, remaining 3/4 cup warm water, and remaining 2 1/2 cups flour mixture until a dough forms.

Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead, working in just enough additional flour to keep dough from sticking, until dough is smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Form dough into a ball and put in an oiled large bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough and cut into 8 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Flatten 1 ball, then roll out into a 6 1/2- to 7-inch round on floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Transfer round to 1 of 2 baking sheets lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Make 7 more rounds in same manner, arranging them on baking sheets. Loosely cover pitas with 2 clean kitchen towels (not terry cloth) and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

Set oven rack in lower third of oven and remove other racks. Preheat oven to 500°F.

Transfer 4 pitas, 1 at a time, directly onto oven rack. Bake until just puffed and pale golden, about 2 minutes. Turn over with tongs and bake 1 minute more. Cool pitas on a cooling rack 2 minutes, then stack and wrap loosely in a kitchen towel to keep pitas warm. Bake remaining 4 pitas in same manner. Serve warm.


• Pitas can be baked 1 week ahead and cooled completely, then frozen, wrapped well in foil in a sealed plastic bag. Thaw before reheating, wrapped in foil, 10 to 12 minutes in a 350°F oven.



This recipe is from epicurious.com

Labels:

posted by Unknown at 4:48 AM

15 Comments:

so how difficult was it to make pita?

6:16 AM  

Good pita bread is excellent & I'm always impressed with cooking as I am mediocre at best at the gig.

7:04 AM  

Fatwonkkid,
It was easier than I thought, I am surprised, it tastes good too!

2dollar,
It does taste good if I do say so myself. I'm impressed with cooking too, i'm not great at it, but I like to try.

8:20 AM  

That sounds cool! Post the recipe!

9:56 AM  

4HC, ok just did!

10:15 AM  

Ahhhh..homemade pita bread. That sounds so good right now.

10:41 AM  

Seems like so much work but I'll bet they're divinely yummy! I could have used a few of those for the vegan gyros I made the other day.

Hi Carmel! :)

8:04 AM  

Phoenix,
It was good at the time too, it's all gone!

Dan,
We ate it all, sorry we didn't share so you could use it for your vegan gyros. :/

HI DAN!

8:43 AM  

I may try this. I love pitas and any kind of home-made bread. Thanks.

9:59 AM  

Yum, Carmel
So what time is dinner

10:52 AM  

I love pita bread, but too lazy to make it homemade!

12:26 PM  

Art,
if you do try it, let me know how it worked for you.

Quasar,
It's all gone, sorry :)

Nutz,
I'm often lazy, this is just one of those rare moments.

5:50 AM  

We have an eatable like this called Chappapathi :)

2:05 AM  

Ooooo, thanks, Carmel!

2:09 PM  

Sounds yummy. We'll have to try that!!!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home