Winterr's words

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Pondering


I am currently preparing myself for confession, I am comming back into the Catholic Church after many years, and the last time I confessed in the Church was so long ago, so it's time to prepare. Sure I give confessions to God now in that private place of prayer, but now it's time for the Sacrament of reconciliation.
As I prepare, I often think of what Jesus has done for me, and what my sin caused, for I am partly responsible as we all are. As I pray and say "sorry Lord" I recall a poem that I read and have pondered on so many times before, I would like to share it here,

The diadem of Pain
Which sliced your gentle face,
Three spikes piercing flesh and wood
To hold you in that place.

The need for blood I understand
Your sacrifice I embrace
But the bitter sponge, the cutting spear,
The spit upon your face?
Did it have to be the cross?
Did not a kinder death exist?
Than six hours hanging between life and death,
All spurred by a betrayer's kiss?

"Oh, Father," you pose,
heart stilled at what could be,
"I'm sorry to ask, but I long to know,
did you do this for me?"

Yes this is a deep one, and not easy to pray or think about, but it certainly helps me bring up sins that I like to keep locked away, as we all do at times. My preist said once "don't only question to God, "what did I do" but also, "what did I fail to do?" Anyway have a ponder :-)
posted by Unknown at 6:54 PM

1 Comments:

hey Paul, thanks I look forward to reading more about your journey too!!!

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home